Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Momma Bisket comes to Suva!

A visitor from home!! I was so excited to have my mom come visit me while I was here. I had known since Christmas that my aunt and uncle were going to visit but it was sort of impromptu that my mom was joining. She spent a few days with me in Suva prior to the two of us meeting up with my aunt and uncle.

It isn't until you really have to meet up with someone that you realize how difficult it is not having cell phones! Plans didn't go as expected and she ended up making her way to Suva in a taxi as opposed to meeting me at the Suva airport. Miraculously she was able to make her way to USP, and after passing by a few times, finally saw me waiting at the bus stop for her.

She was such a trooper that first day, I knew I was only going to have three days in Suva with her so I had to make the time count!

We spent the first day strolling around downtown, going in and out of the shops.

Along the seawall downtown

Andrew was a trooper for joining us downtown!
 In celebration of her arrival, we went out to a restaurant called Tiko's. It's a permanently anchored boat right on the waters of the Suva Harbor and had delicious seafood! Since the drinking age is only 18 here, we even split a bottle of wine. I even convinced her to stay out a bit longer and meet up with my friends out at the bars! Told you she was a trooper, she lasted all the way 'til 12:30!!!
Dinner Date :)
Sunday, we had planned on venturing to the Colo-i-Suva national park where the waterfalls are.  Unfortunately the rains of Suva hindered our original plans. After Mass in the morning (which was unexpectedly half in Hindu for commemoration of the Indian Catholic population at the church), and a coffee date downtown, we decided the rains weren't stopping anytime soon. So a whole bunch of us went the movies instead and had a mini-birthday celebration following with pizza and cards back at the apartment.

Monday I had most of my day free and we went back downtown to souvenir shop for the day. Talk about shop til you drop! We conquered the handicraft market, and the flea market, as well as some of the more touristy shops in the area.

Handicraft market

SO many things in every little stall
 Tuesday was my day to show her around campus as I had classes most of the morning. While I had my first bunch of classes in the morning, she wanted to go downtown one more time so I was proud of her when she figured out the bus route and shops downtown by herself! I met back up with her on campus at lunchtime and showed her around. We enjoyed lunch at the cafe on campus and found her a quiet place to read during my last class.


Reading...? Or people watching...!

After class we said goodbye to Suva and began our adventure west to meet up with Aunt Katherine and Uncle Jim in Nadi. The plane ride from Suva to Nadi was 22 minutes...I've never been on such a short flight! It was a great time with mommy in Suva, but our vacation together had only just begun! Next stop - Matamanoa Island!


No comments:

Post a Comment